It is a question that every business asks – “How do I choose the right bank for my business? Are they a business bank? Convenient locations? What about mobile banking with online options?” While these are important factors, it is crucial to consider a valuable intangible – which bank offers your business the best and most comprehensive relationship? Who can you see as a trusted adviser on your business team?
The relationship you form with your banker will go far beyond choosing the correct credit facility or opening a depository account. It is a collaborative approach to grow with your business and the ability to adapt and be nimble when adversity hits – to be a real partner.
Here are some qualities to look for when selecting your most advantageous business banking relationship:
- Knows Your Business. Your banker should have specific knowledge of what makes your operation unique, your competition, and the challenges and opportunities your business may face. This will allow your banker to create unique recommendations and advise your business to reach your goals. Ask your banker about their experience with similar companies. Schedule routine in-person meetings. Ensure that their short-term and long-term goals are in line with yours.
- Highest Level of Customer Service. Is a key element of being able to identify if your bank views your business as important to them. Having a team that is dedicated to knowing and serving you allows you to be confident in the messages portrayed by the bank. A banking partner will have multiple people ready to take your call, promptly respond to your emails, provide transparent advice and is available to meet with you in-person when you need them.
- Engaged Ownership & Management. Having an outstanding banker is valuable. Having access to multiple members of a team that include senior management who can offer knowledge, connections and a seat at the approval table – is priceless.
- Protecting Your Company. Continuing education is imperative in today’s business world. A true banking partner will have committed professionals who keep well-informed of detrimental business issues (.i.e. cyber security and fraud) and offer proactive solutions to defend against potential dangers. The ability to identify areas of weakness and offer security recommendations, or present efficiencies by stream-lining processes, are ways to identify an engaged and involved cash management team. Tools such as Positive Pay, call-back services and device authentication are additional ways to protect your business against possible risks.
- Being a Partner. Fair-weather banking has no place in a true banking partnership. Your banker should be a constant advocate for your business during your business’s highs and lows. A partnership allows for fluid communication, sound advice and creative problem solving. As a business owner, you should never be met with confusing, high-level financial language from your banker. When collaborating to create solutions, a true partner will encourage outside-the-box thinking and will become an essential component of growing your business.
Ensuring that your current banking relationship is strong can prove to be incalculable – not only today, but in the strategic planning for your future development. We encourage you to ask the question “is my current business bank a vendor or a partner?” You’ll find it time well spent and you will be better positioned for a more successful tomorrow.
Platinum Bank believes in creating partnerships with small-businesses across the Greater Twin Cities Area. Our core is Business Banking. Platinum Bank was created by entrepreneurs for entrepreneurs. Founded in 2007, we understand your challenges because we, too, are a growth-oriented company. We are open-minded and provide transparent feedback that you probably won’t hear from most banks. We are committed to learning and telling your unique story and advocating for your business. Our promise to you is a team that is dedicated to serving your needs and actually doing what we say. We don’t want to be a vendor; we want to be a partner – your partner. Come experience the Platinum difference.
PLATINUM BANK WEST
605 N Hwy. 169, Suite 100
Plymouth, MN 55441
PLATINUM BANK EAST
7667 N. Hwy. 10
Oakdale, MN 55128
Senior Vice President, Commercial Lending
Vice President/ Cash Management Specialist